[Farmall] How do you polarize a voltage reagulator??

Jim Hudson jamhudson at vnet.net
Tue Jun 15 16:39:14 PDT 2004

To make sure you have the proper polarity after connecting a new generator
with the regulator you must *momentarily* connect a jumper lead between the
generator (GEN) terminal and the (BAT) terminal of the regulator *BEFORE*
starting the engine. The momentary surge of current (via the jumper) will
correctly polarize the generator. This problem does not exist with an
alternator, but only generators. Failure to properly polarize the system
will result in burned contact points in the regulator and consequently no
charging.