[Farmall] Painted serial number plate

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Mon Jun 14 05:19:35 PDT 2004

There are several liquids that will attack paint and soften them up, you
just have to be careful of the stuff getting on the surrounding surfaces.
One thing that works good is paint stripper. To soften the paint without
taking off too much of what is underneath, try dabbing the paint stripper
on the plate with a soaked rag. Let it sit for only half as long as
recommended, then try to scrape it off with a piece of soft plastic. Use
the water soluble paint stripper and have a bucket of water handy to wash
the stripper off once it softens the paint enough to where you can scrape
it off. Depending on the type of paint you're dealing with, you may have to
apply the stripper more than once. Just keep testing it as it works and
don't let it sit any longer than you have to.

I've also had success using a propane torch. Just use low heat and apply
the torch just enough to get the paint to soften up without getting really
hot. Keep the flame moving so the paint heats, but not the plate. Wipe with
a rag when it looks like it's softened.

Carl Szabelski

                    Jluco at aol.com
                    Sent by:                              To:     farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com
                    farmall-bounces at lists.antique-t       cc:
                    ractor.com                            Subject:     [Farmall] Painted serial number plate

                    06/13/2004 12:00 AM
                    Please respond to Farmall/IHC
                    mailing list

Hey Gang,

I wanted to know if what is the best way to removed old paint from a serial

number plate.  A P.O. put a good coat (or coats) over the top of the serial

plate and I can't read a lick of it.  It too thick to even try to put a
sheet of
paper on top and rub over it with a pencil.  What can I use to remove the
plate and not damage it.  Then I guess i can spray paint it black and take
a block
of sandpaper to take the paint off of the raised portions.  Thanks for your

suggestions in advance.

Jeff Lucovsky
Bryceville, Florida