[AT] Tire ballast

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Sun Jun 13 22:54:18 PDT 2004

Ron,

If you're really only looking for corrosion protection - and not freeze
protection - you might want to consider just water and some corrosion
inhibitor.

I think most antifreeze is still ethylene glycol which, in combination with
water, pushes the boiling point up from 212 degrees F and the freezing point
down from 32 degrees F.  But, ethylene glycol by itself does nothing to
prevent corrosion so inhibitors are added.

I haven't looked for rust inhibitors in the auto stores for many years - I
don't know what's available, how expensive it is or how much it would take.

But as to your' specific question re; preventing rust -- I guess I am
wondering why you would want to put used antifreeze in your tires.  If you
wanted freeze protection then I understand it.  But, if what you want is
corrosion protection then I don't.  Heat and the combined effects of
minerals and dissolved oxygen in the antifreeze deplete the inhibitors so
this is why the antifreeze must be changed periodically (and thus provides
the source of used antifreeze?).  But, I guess that used antifreeze would
probably still have some rust inhibitors left in it (depending, of course,
on how long it had been in a radiator) so it would be better than straight
water???

I think I am confused - maybe someone can "unconfuse" me -

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington