[AJD] 1939 JD 'A'

Gail L. Kratzig glkratzig at pogozone.net
Sun Jun 13 18:26:37 PDT 2004

     We just got our 1939 'A' running again after a complete engine
overhaul.  We did not reinstall the valve cover-- as we wanted to
retorque the head nuts after the engine got hot.  While the engine
was running, no oil came out of the tappet oiler pipe from the
governor housing to the cover (that pipe was installed).  We were
wondering what makes the oil come out and with what frequency does it
work?  Does the valve cover need to be installed for the oil to flow
out of the pipe?  We did make sure that the line was clean and free
of obstructions.
     From time to time, someone brings up the topic of yellow-backed fans.
 We were wondering again, if our 'A' (487153) had a fan that was
painted yellow?  And for future reference what years did this occur?

Thanks,
     Dave & Robert

1959 830D (8302786)
1957 720SD (7207359)