[AT] OT - Powder Post Beetles

Rob Gray Robgray at epix.net
Sun Jun 13 04:15:24 PDT 2004

Please excuse the off topic posts, but here is another. I had an
exterminator company come out to look at the house.  In the basement the
inspector found evidence of powder post beetle damage. I now believe
that this damage is at least mostly old because my dad says that these
pencil point sized holes in the old hand hewn beams have been there at
least since 1950 when my granpa bought the house. Does anyone on the
list know how I can tell if this pest is currently living in the wood?
The exterminator wants $1,000 to treat the beams, but I don't want to
pay if the damage is old and the bugs are no longer there.

The inspector had me real nervous with their description of the
potential damage that these bugs do, so I signed on to have this
treatement done, but now I'm having second thoughts and might want to
cancel....

Any advice from folks who have had experience with this type of bug
would be greatly appreciated.....

Rob Gray
NE PA