[AT] Re: Off topic but greatreading ---- Somewhat back on topic - backhoes

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Sat Jun 12 05:24:22 PDT 2004

While that is a great price, I would be very cautious about such a
machine. The 580CK is one of the first of the 580 series and probably
has a LOT of hours on it. While the 580 is an excellent machine, in
general, repairing it enough to make it usable can be very expensive. I
saw many similar TLBs come in to our shop, and the estimates for repairs
shocked the owners. The expensive items were pins & bushings in the
boom, dipper, and swing posts. Then there were items that were not so
obvious: valves and hydraulic pumps. Many times the loader and backhoe
buckets had been welded so many times that there was no more material to
hang a weld on. Replacement new buckets, when available run $1500 and
up; used are about half that, if they are any good. And that all assumes
that the tractor is good; tires, engine repairs, clutch or torque
converters (figure $2500 for a TC), cooling system, etc. all add up
quickly. (Think about how many gallons of hydraulic fluid at $5/gal will
be needed to flush water out of the system.) Sure, there are sometimes
the great deal from an older guy who has had a machine around for a
while and just wants to get rid of it so he can move to Florida or
something like that, but most of the older machines are going to need
lot of work to make them really dependable and usable.

And the 580 is not a small machine. Rob's original post was in reference
to a compact tractor with backhoe. They have been around only for the
last 15 years or so, and only the strongest have survived. We had a
couple of Ford 2120s (1990-5 era, 42hp diesel, shuttle shift, 4WD, 800
hours each) with loader and 7' backhoe priced at around $20,000. And we
got that price. But they were in "ready to work" condition, not "ready
to be worked on". :-)

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Politics Is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to
realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.- Ronald
Reagan, 1911-2004, 40th US President