[AT] Re: Off topic - backhoes

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Sat Jun 12 07:47:21 PDT 2004

>  Sure, there are sometimes the great deal from an older guy who has had a
> machine around for a while and just wants to get rid of it so he can move
> to Florida or something like that, but most of the older machines are
> going to need lot of work to make them really dependable and usable.

Mike's absolutely correct, you just have to be lucky enough to be in the
right place at the right time.  For example I know of a 1972 JD 500A for
sale locally in Southern California right now.  Jim's recently retired from
a long career as a grading/landscaping contractor.  Location is La Verne,
near Los Angeles.

This machine seems very pampered, (just my opinion from hearsay, plus
looking it over).  Jim bought the machine new in 1972 and has never let
anyone else operate it, nor has it ever had a breaker hammer on it.  He's
always changed the oil every 50 to 60 hours, been meticulous about routine
maintenance, and treated it well. Semi-automatic, 8 frwd, 4 reverse, 12",
18" and 24" buckets, disk asphalt cutter, and many spare parts.  $7,000
takes everything.  The hauler truck is also for sale, for an additional $3,000.

Typical of Jim's nature is the fact he just recently changed all fluids and
did some minor repairs, to make sure it's all ready to go for the new buyer.

The usual disclaimers apply - I'm not personally that familiar with the
machine, nor do I have any financial interest in the sale.

It seems to me like one heck of a turn-key deal, though.  I've seen abused,
worn-out junker hoes sell for far more at local auctions.

Here's a photo of it:

http://users.adelphia.net/~rick427/tractors/jdbackhoe.jpg

If anyone's interested, e-mail me for Jim's phone number.

Richard