[AT] Check the grounds, check the grounds, check the grounds...

Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Jun 11 12:43:17 PDT 2004

	In getting my MM-R ready to go to the local show I needed
to replace a section of fuel line that required moving the
battery to one side to get to a clamp. When I reconnected
the ground cable I put it back like it was which was bolted
through the box base and the frame section below it. When I
put it together after painting earlier I had as I sometimes
do placed a "star" lock washer between the cable terminal
and the surface I was bolting it down to. Normally I just
scrape off a section of paint down to shiny metal but this
one was going to Portland when I did it and I didn't want a
big scratched spot. I figured the star washer would make a
better connection. Today after I put it together I washed
the tractor then tried to start it while it was still wet.
It spun over just fine and I might not have known there was
a ground problem but the connection began to sizzle the
water that was still on it. I redid the connection but there
  was still a tiny bit of sizzle after I wet it down again.
Some of you guys should try wetting down your connections
with water and with the ignition off crank it over for a
minute to see if any of the connections will sizzle the
water. I plan to try it on a few tractors just for the heck
of it. I thought it might make an interesting test if
several of us tried it. I would have sworn that I had a good
ground to start with.
--

"farmer"

My latest list "No Nonsense Horse" (includes donkeys & mules).