[AT] Re: Off topic but greatreading ---- Somewhat back on topic

Michael Miller sweetcorn70 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 10 21:00:22 PDT 2004

Rob,
    Next time your in a place that sells the truck trader type magazines,
grab the "heavy equipment" version.  Also watch the local auctions and
classified ads.  At the auction where I bought my SMTA, an older JD backhoe
in good running shape with an almost new radiator brought less than $3,500
IIRC.  Lots of older units out there.  One that a lot of guys around here
like is the Case 580, of any series.  Get an extendahoe if you can.  I would
get someone who deals with this stuff everyday to look over any unit your
looking at, and tell you whats wrong with it.  Buying a backhoe that needs a
lot of work such as new pins, hydraulic hoses, etc. can be a very poor
decision and cost you WAY more money than you planned on.   I would also
stay away from any machine that has been used so rough something broke and
had to be welded.  It is amazing how many chores you'll find to use your
backhoe for once you buy it..

Mike