[AT] On losing farm land

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Jun 10 09:20:32 PDT 2004

I bought a really nice Irish wool sweater in Doolin last month, Cecil.
You WILL want to buy sweaters there.  My recommendation is to take NONE
with you so you can make purchases there.  The Irish consider it a heat
wave any time the temperature gets above 70 degrees Fahrenheit.  It
rarely gets down to freezing, so killing frost is almost unheard of.  As
a result, they are plagued with gorse.  If you haven't seen it before,
it's pretty.  It's a bush that has bright yellow flowers on it almost
all year round.  Nothing eats it (it has thorns on it nearly two inches
long) it has no natural enemies, and the only way you can kill it is to
douse it with gasoline and set the bushes on fire.  You'll see it
blooming everywhere -- except in The Burren.  Admiring it would be like
admiring someone's crop of dandelions or kudzu.  It's my understanding
that mowing it off with a bush hog does nothing except to make it
shorter.

There are a couple of excursions that you should pursue while in Galway.
One is to take a boat ride on the river Lee (I think that's its name)
inland a few miles to the big lake that sets north of the city.  This is
about a three-hour excursion into a really large wildlife habitat.
Tickets are available down by the river in Galway.  The other would be a
bus trip into the Canmarra region NW of the city.  You'll stop at the
Canmarra marble quarry (the only source of green marble in the world)
and Lucille can buy marble and amethyst jewelry to her heart's content.
Farther on you'll pass through a number of operating peat bogs -- the
small operations, not the big commercial places written up in this
month's issue of National Geographic -- and you'll need to keep your
eyes open for wild horses.  The horses that live in this region are all
descended from those that were on board the Spanish Armada when
Elizabeth I sank it.  There's a "watering hole" hotel out in the middle
of the region where EVERYONE takes a pit stop.  Next door to it is a
small cabin that was featured in a movie starring John Wayne and Maureen
O'Hara.  Their mannequins and props from the movie are on display
inside.

Larry