[AJD] Need help from the wheel experts- oddball wheels on a wartime B

John Boehm rustyacres at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 9 20:48:14 PDT 2004

Help!! Duane Larsen, John Grant, JR Hobbs!!

I just picked up a disassembled styled B. The serial
tag is missing, but the B2013R cast iron frame
indicates a 1943 or 1944 wartime tractor, serial
#136662-166999. This is confirmed by the cut down
fronts with the wartime hubs. Interestingly, the
tractor is electric start with lights, even though it
was a wartime model that most likely had steel wheels.

I've posted several photos at
http://vintagetractors.com/whatsit.html. They show the
bare tractor, but I do have most of the parts
notshownin the photos.

Has anyone seen rear wheels like this on a styled B?
The rear wheels have F & H HC419C casting # in the
hubs. These are similar to F & H HC419A hubs used on
the 40 inch round spoked wheels for BWH and BNH
tractors and also the F&H HC419A hubs on 36" round
spoke wheels used on a few BN's, most of which seem to
have been shipped to the Salinas area. However, these
wheels have flat spokes (not round spokes) riveted
into the hubs. The flat spokes are welded to the 38"
rims. I have never seen flat spokes on one of these
hubs before. I believe they are cut downs from steel
wheels, since they would have been riveted to the rim
if they were factory wheels for rubber tires.

I've speculated enough- does anyone have any
information on these wheels?

Thanks,

John Boehm
Woodland, CA