[AT] On losing farm land

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Wed Jun 9 15:03:51 PDT 2004

In my youth we had good friends that lived north of Herkimer, NY and
although we had what I previously thought was stony soil up on the southern
rim of the Mohawk Valley - I was floored when we visited once and the whole
family was out picking stone off of a small plot near the barn.  It was if
they had just dug the most prolific crop of potatoes ever harvested - but
they weren't in rows.  It was their stone crop and this was their second
picking- done after second pass harrowing.  I don't know how they managed to
plant anything without ruining their machinery.  I had a whole different
level of appreciation for what stony land was after that!
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H
Simplicity 3112 & 7116