[AT] Reagan Remembered (by Patti Davis) Off topic but greatreading

Phil Vorwerk pvorwerk at newulmtel.net
Wed Jun 9 15:42:05 PDT 2004

I wish I was a bit closer - I think Montana would be a beautiful place to
spend a little time, drink some coffee and look at old iron.  The problem
with email lists is that emails can take on a tone that was never intended
by the writer, and it can escalate to the point where people respond in a
manner that they would never dream of using in person.  "Hot" topics sure
are better to discuss when you can look the other person in the eye.  Over
the years I made and kept a resolution that I would never write a letter to
the editor at our local paper, because even on topics where I agree, it is
rare that I see a letter to the editor that somehow doesn't make the writer
look foolish.

The inquiry about what your job had been wasn't meant as a jab.  Usually
when I meet someone the first topic is invariably the discussion of what we
do for a living, so I wasn't trying to be too personal.  As far as social
security goes, it is too bad that some people who were counting on social
security had it cut on them.  I was heading into my freshman year of college
when Reagan took office and the government promptly cut a good sized chunk
of the support I was going to receive for school.  I worked construction
during the day and McDonalds on evenings and weekends during the summer,
kept a part time job while attending college full time, and I made it
through.  (I like to tell my kids that figuring out how to pay for your
college tuition is an important part of your learning.)  Borrowed a lot of
money.  At this point I've paid a lot of money into the social security
system, I'll pay in a lot more yet, and I'm not likely to ever collect any
money from it unless some major changes occur.  (Unlike those caught by
surprise in 1981, I do have the benefit of having plenty of advance warning,
so my retirement plans do not include social security.)  Looking at the
bigger picture, I do think we went the right direction from that point in
1981.

For what it's worth.  And I wish I could take you up on that coffee.....

Phil