[AT] Cummins Industrial Tools?

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Wed Jun 9 13:43:56 PDT 2004

Cecil wrote:

 >    I told Mike to get a bale of hay or straw and feed it under
 > the rear wheels. I've been involved with getting stuck tractors out
 > after someone spun the wheels and it is a tough job. As to that
 > winch, I have several winches - one is around 4K# and the other is
 > maybe 2K#. Neither one of them would pull that 560 out of the muck.
OK. It looks like the $80 Chinese winch is not a good solution, and I
have a feeling that straw would just get mushed up with the other grass
and weeds that the tires churned up.

 >     There is a possibility with the winch you saw advertised,
 > Mike. If you get enough steel cable with it, and you have several
 > sheaves, you could increase the pulling power with them. By using
 > two or three pulleys you can increase the winch's power to the point
 > you can break the steel cable that comes with it. You will still
 > need someone on the tractor.
I have a feeling that the 30' of cable that comes with the winch
wouldn't be very helpful, and a couple of decent quality snatch blocks
would probably cost more than the winch. :-)

 >    Maybe that guy with the stone business up at the end of your
 > road will let someone come down with a backhoe and pull you out. ????
He has a Cat hydraulic excavator that might do the job, but asking him
for favors is a little tricky. I'd rather not. But you reminded me that
another neighbor has a Ford 5500 backhoe/loader that I am sure he would
loan me (I clear his driveway every time it snows). It's an old clunker,
but it works well enough so that I could use the dipper arm as a winch.
The only trick would be finding a place to put the stabilizers down
where they wouldn't sink in. :-) I have a couple hundred feet of chain,
so I should be able to find a spot...

Steve W. wrote:

> Cummins is basically a mobile version of Harbor Freight, BUT they sell
> some REALLY BAD JUNK also. They set up locally here about 10-15 times a
> year, at the VFW, Elks,Fire Depts. They set up a couple tables with
> samples and you go around with a list and write down what you want, then
> wander over to the tractor trailer and give them your list. They bring
> out the items in boxes from,China/Taiwan/Japan/India and you load up and
> go home. Check over any item you but VERY close. I don't even bother
> going to the sales anymore. Stuff was just junk to me.
I had a feeling that would be the case, and I am glad that I asked. And
I am even gladder to have helpful replies. You guys probably saved me
$80 today! I think I will save up my money for a REAL winch some day. :-)

Mike