[AT] Screwing roofing

Mark Greer greerfam at raex.com
Wed Jun 9 05:36:29 PDT 2004

I predrilled all the panels on my shop as the self drilling screws raise a
burr under the sealing washer that usually sticks out and rusts right away.
You can use 1/8" drill bits for this. The screws for the flats are just shy
of 1/8" dia.and those short ones (5/8") for the ribs are near 3/16" dia. but
you only want to screw the two layers together there so the hole needs to be
smaller than the screw. I got some neat sheet-metal drill bits from the
local body-shop supply house that were double-ended so if you dull one end
you just turn the bit end for end and get double the life. They came in a
10-pack for about $10 and I'm sure there are still 7 or 8 left in the pack
and my shop is 32'x44' with 2' overhangs and 12' walls so we used a lot of
screws and drilled a lot of holes . A good battery drill is real handy for
doing this kind of work especially on the roof as you don't have the cord
and chuck key dragging across the roof and scratching it. I wore old tennis
shoes with soft soles and used an old piece of carpet at the bottom of the
ladder to wipe them off on before I climbed on the roof. The finish on my
roofing is guaranteed 30 years and I wasn't about to scratch it up while I
was installing it.
Mark