[AT] Tragic Tractor/Mower accident - Douglas, KS

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Tue Jun 8 15:35:23 PDT 2004

	I would say the accidents you read about are due to a lack
of common sense. I was running a McCormick Deering 10-20 tractor in
the field at age 11. I never rode on a fender or hung on the back to
see how things went. My father was the one who hung on and rode the
fender. He had me on the seat and nothing moved until I understood
how to operate the tractor. It didn't work that way with the 9N Ford
because there was nothing to hang on to or a place for a second person
to ride. You either drove or stayed off. I was only 14 or 15 when I
was pulling the corn picker and a wagon in the fall. If there was ever
a dangerous machine it was the corn picker. I have a dread of snapping
rollers to this day. I remember as clear as can be my father showing
me a young man who lived north of us who only had part of his arm. My
father said to me that the young man had left the tractor running and
got off to try to clear trash from the snapping rollers and had to
brace himself and let the machine pull his arm off. Talk about scary.
I don't think I ever ran that machine without thinking of that
conversation. I guess you could say that my father was a great
communicator too as he sure got to me. By the same token, I cannot
ever remember him telling me to be careful. He had already taken care
of that. I wish he was alive today as I would like to talk to him and
see what he had to say about trying to run a farm with boys for helpers.
I never asked him and wish I had.

	Anyhow, I feel sorry for the young man who lost his child and
wish I could bring him back. It is always too late to say you are sorry
when an accident like that happens. Better to do a little thinking
beforehand.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson