[Farmall] Cub Idler Gear

Jim Hudson jamhudson at vnet.net
Mon Jun 7 12:04:00 PDT 2004

You can find you answer at this url
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/index.html
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: szabelsk at gdls.com
  Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 12:37 PM
  Subject: [Farmall] Cub Idler Gear

  Can anybody provide an answer to something that has me confused at the
  moment?

  I recently had a problem with the governor on the Cub.  When I was ready to
  reinstall the governor, I couldn't find the timing mark on the idler gear
  to set the governor. I cranked the engine over several times by hand while
  wiping and cleaning the idler gear, but no timing mark. I could find the
  two marks that line up with the gear on the crankshaft quite easily, but
  couldn't find any indication of any other marking.  I set the governor by
  trial and error so that the rotor is correctly positioned when the number
  one cylinder is at TDC firing.

  My question(s) is:  Shouldn't there be a timing mark somewhere? According
  to several manuals there is. Is it possible that the gear is on backwards
  and that the timing marks for the crankshaft are stamped on both sides, but
  the timing mark for the governor is only on one side? If I were to count
  gear teeth from the two marks on the idler gear that I can find, where
  would the mark for the governor be (I'm guessing not 180 degrees)?

  I have to finish some other things before I'm ready to turn the engine
  over, so I won't know for sure if the timing is right, but I think I am
  based on previous work I did on the magneto. I plan to check the timing
  with a timing light, so I'll know if I'm correct. But the missing mark has
  me perplexed. Any comments or ideas?
  I'm off or not.

  Carl Szabelski