[Farmall] Cub Idler Gear

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Mon Jun 7 09:37:57 PDT 2004

Can anybody provide an answer to something that has me confused at the
moment?

I recently had a problem with the governor on the Cub.  When I was ready to
reinstall the governor, I couldn't find the timing mark on the idler gear
to set the governor. I cranked the engine over several times by hand while
wiping and cleaning the idler gear, but no timing mark. I could find the
two marks that line up with the gear on the crankshaft quite easily, but
couldn't find any indication of any other marking.  I set the governor by
trial and error so that the rotor is correctly positioned when the number
one cylinder is at TDC firing.

My question(s) is:  Shouldn't there be a timing mark somewhere? According
to several manuals there is. Is it possible that the gear is on backwards
and that the timing marks for the crankshaft are stamped on both sides, but
the timing mark for the governor is only on one side? If I were to count
gear teeth from the two marks on the idler gear that I can find, where
would the mark for the governor be (I'm guessing not 180 degrees)?

I have to finish some other things before I'm ready to turn the engine
over, so I won't know for sure if the timing is right, but I think I am
based on previous work I did on the magneto. I plan to check the timing
with a timing light, so I'll know if I'm correct. But the missing mark has
me perplexed. Any comments or ideas?
I'm off or not.

Carl Szabelski