[Farmall] OT-Need help with Sears 20HP Onan powered garden tractor

Frank DeWitt frank at lbpinc.com
Sat Jun 5 19:55:15 PDT 2004

That clutch was probably NOT made by Sears or onan.  It was probably made
by Warner Electric
http://www.warnernet.com/

You may be able to get some help by studying there web site.

There are 3 main parts.
one part attaches to the drive shaft (engine) and spins all the time.
The second part contains the pulley and spins with power applied.
The 3rd part contains the coil and never spins.  This part is usually keept
from spinning with a single lose pin or shoulder bolt or a sheet metal
bracket to just one place on the clutch. (it is not hard mounted because
that would put stress on the bearing.)  It will look very weak but that is
intended.  The engine shaft does all the work.  I would not be afraid to
make a link if the correct one has been destroyed.

Sorry I don't have a more specific answer.

Frank

At 05:42 PM 6/1/2004, you wrote:
>Hello everyone:
>
>I've been a member of this list and really the general antique tractor
>list for a long time.  I read with interest and enjoyment the posts, but I
>need some OT help.  I'm at my wits end with a problem with a Sears 20HP
>Onan powered garden tractor.  If anyone has one of these creatures, I'd
>appreciate an email off list.
>
>Specifically, the problem is this:  it has an electric clutch on the front
>drive shaft that engages the mower deck belt.  The bearing must have
>frozen up on it as the whole clutch mechanism spins.  (It's engaged all
>the time).  I have a feeling there are some parts missing.
>  I've got a new clutch for it, but I can't figure out how the stationary
> party attaches.  There is a L shaped bracket that bolts to the engine,
> but it's been bent by the spinning cluth.  If someone could take a
> picture of this setup and describe it to me, I'd be eternally grateful.
>
>John Slavin
>Kirksville, MO
>jslavin at marktwain.net

HONOR GOD
SERVE PEOPLE
DEVELOP EXCELLENCE
GROW PROFITABLE
FOLLOWING BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES

    Frank DeWitt              |  mailto:frank at lbpinc.com
    Mechanical Design      |  Phone:  585 624 3052
    LBP  INC.                   |  Fax     585 624 1038
    2365 Cox Rd.              |     N 42.9130  W
77.5164|
    Bloomfield NY 14469   |Web   http://www.lbpinc.com