[AT] Anyone see this JD R on Ebay?

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Jun 3 10:44:01 PDT 2004

This reminds me of a purchase I made several years ago of a tractor that
only showed 75 hours on the meter.  Of course the seller claimed all
sorts of ignorance about the tractor's condition, but when I got to
investigating it, I found all the electrical wiring brittle with age.
It appears that the previous owner started it (Diesel engine) and then
turned off the ignition key while he used it.  Since there is only a
mechanical decompression valve for stopping the engine, all turning off
the ignition does is to disconnect the hour-meter!  It still was an
alright deal and I still use the tractor almost every day, but when
you're assessing the value, use, and abuse of a tractor, don't even
bother looking at the hour-meter.

Larry