[AT] Anyone see this JD R on Ebay?

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Jun 3 10:42:25 PDT 2004

LeRoy:

I would be very suspect of this whole story. Too many things don't add up.
The age of the Son-in Law and the tractor age doesn't really compute with
the age of the possible Father -in-Law. Something doesn't add up. I can't
tell if what is on there is a generator or an alternator but I do know a
generator originally was installed at the factory. If I had to guess it
looks like a much later generator rather than an alternator.

There is a bullet hole in the left side of the hood or about the size of
one. The rear tires are of a mismatched lug design which doesn't jibe with
the story. I suspect the 200 hours are actual hours on the new hour meter,
not actual hours on the tractor. Rear tail light is missing, etc, etc.

Without being able to touch and feel this tractor my gut tells me this is a
real con job. It does appear to be in good shape but there is no way to
touch up 40 to 50 year old paint w/o it showing significantly. I think this
whole tractor has been repainted and maybe restored at one time.

Beware of third party story writers who admit they don't know what they are
talking about. But write a compelling story anyway!  Me thinks I would keep
my hands on both back pockets. Too much opportunity here for creative ad
copy. I have no idea where anyone could get an appraiser to come up with a
value such as this on a JD R tractor. I cannot think where they would get a
comparable to hang their hat on. Beware of distant prophets bearing strange
gifts.

I sometimes believe that if it truly were a gem the story would get around
the local area and it would get gobbled up. Those that need a story get sold
on eBay!

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

What people can dream, people can do! George W. Bush

www.deerelegacy.com