[Farmall] OT-Need help with Sears 20HP Onan powered garden tractor

John Slavin jslavin at marktwain.net
Tue Jun 1 14:42:59 PDT 2004

Hello everyone:

I've been a member of this list and really the general antique tractor
list for a long time.  I read with interest and enjoyment the posts,
but I need some OT help.  I'm at my wits end with a problem with a
Sears 20HP Onan powered garden tractor.  If anyone has one of these
creatures, I'd appreciate an email off list.

Specifically, the problem is this:  it has an electric clutch on the
front drive shaft that engages the mower deck belt.  The bearing must
have frozen up on it as the whole clutch mechanism spins.  (It's
engaged all the time).  I have a feeling there are some parts missing.
  I've got a new clutch for it, but I can't figure out how the
stationary party attaches.  There is a L shaped bracket that bolts to
the engine, but it's been bent by the spinning cluth.  If someone could
take a picture of this setup and describe it to me, I'd be eternally
grateful.

John Slavin
Kirksville, MO
jslavin at marktwain.net