[AT] Farmall A? question

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Tue Jun 1 03:09:35 PDT 2004

Again, you need to verify this with someone like Guy Fay, but I believe
that it was IH's practice at that time to age the engine castings for
several months after pouring. The purpose was to allow the internal
stresses to relieve themselves. So a block cast in May might not be
built into a tractor until perhaps November (allowing some time for rail
shipping from the foundry to the assembly plant). This was also in the
days before JIT ("Just In Time") production inventory management, and
you can never know how long components sat around at the assembly plant
before being built into a tractor.

Relative to other production dating schemes, it was also IH's practice
to use up all of the parts inventory on hand before making a changeover
to a replacement production part. So if engineering wanted to change to
a different magneto switch, for instance, the change wouldn't occur
until the factory had used up all the old switches they had on hand.
And, of course, you can never tell what failed parts were replaced with,
either in the field or by a dealer, over the 60+ years of a tractor's
life - "if it fits and it works and the tractor can be used, it is the
correct replacement part".

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel laureate (1879-1955)