[Steam-engine] Boilers / Repairs

Dan Donaldson ddonaldson at tampatank.com
Wed Jul 14 11:49:07 PDT 2004

    WOW!!! Jeff, I thought that the politicians flip-flopped and avoided
answering the questions directly but you take the prize. My original
question was; if I replace the lap seam barrel with a full penetration, butt
welded 3/8" thk barrel would I then be able to operate the engine at 150 psi
in states like Maryland? You managed to avoid that question and instead
proceed with a lecture about doing the job the right way with a paper trail
and using a qualified boiler shop (you assumed I was going to take
short-cuts) and then turn around and suggest replacing only the lower
portion of the barrel because it would save work. Plus, you suggested
another engine for sale, give prices and the state it is located but you
don't reveal the name of the owner. I understand you may not want to give
out that information but then why bring it up anyway?

    I appreciate the response and the feed back  but I still have not gotten
an answer to my original question. Can someone if there would be a benefit
to replacing
the lap seam barrel with a full penetration, butt welded 3/8" thk barrel
would I then be able to operate the engine at 150 psi in states like
Maryland?

Dan Donaldson