[AT] OT: Search Engines

Jim Hoffman jslash at execpc.com
Fri Jul 30 08:38:04 PDT 2004

> Having said all that, just remember:  Search engine usefulness is VERY
> subjective because of the way we all frame queries and our desired results
> and expectations are very different.  Take my professional opinion on that
> because I have written applications that search library catalogs and a
good
> search engine is ONLY as good as its' user.

How true that is!  ;)

Long before Google, I used to use Altavista, Lycos and WebCrawler.
Then along came Dogpile.  Dog pile is kinda cool because it will
actually query a bunch of other popular search engines and give you
the top 10 results from each.  However, if you don't know exactly
what you're looking for, you can get information overload quickly.

Then along comes Google.  I haven't found ANYTHING on another site
that I couldn't find on Google.  I have on occasion searched the
others because I couldn't find it on Google.  The others couldn't
find it either.  So I had to rethink my search criteria.  ;)

I find Ask to be useless...

YMMV

Jim/