[Farmall] The 22-36 Saga continues

Lane Freeman lmfree at ptd.net
Tue Jul 27 07:06:22 PDT 2004

Glad you liked the story,  I wish I had more time so I could do it more
often.  I didn't really have the time to do this one but decided I needed a
break from the mental garbage so I just made the time;  getting old iron up
and running is great "therapy".
As far as the cranking, I don't consider REAL tractors(gray and no battery)
mechanically restored until I can start them the way they were meant to
start. Its usually hard to find someone around this place to tow me anyway.
I have to wait for visitors so I can enlist their help to tow the next
project into the shop.  I was thinking about teaching one of the ground hogs
or maybe a deer to help me out,  they need to earn their keep anyway!
Mechanically the tractor is restored about as far as I'm going to go
although I'm trying to get a friend of mine who is a whiz at increasing HP
to come up and work his magic.  I was amazed at the HP this tractor has and
as far as I know its stock. Most tractors I've tested on the dyno only seem
to have a reserve of 5 to 10 HP when lugged down before reaching the point
of diminishing returns but this tractor had nearly 17HP.  That's the point I
thought was odd and was wondering if anyone had an explanation of why this
may be different.
As far as the cosmetics, I still need to straighten out the right fender,
make a rod to connect the magneto to the advance/retard lever and attach the
side curtains(also find some latches) to finish up the cosmetics.

I really think Karl needs to put down that hammer and work on his 22-36 so
we can compare notes.  Since he's remodeling his house, the oil pan from a
22-36 makes a nice bath tub :-).

I guess I need to get at the 15-30 next since I'm working on REAL tractors.
I've had the "Dixie" rebuilt but just didn't find the time to install it.
This one ran fine too but I had to pull start it. With the rebuilt Dixie I'm
fairly confident it will "crank start".

Lane Freeman
New Tripoli, PA