[AT] AC m dozer question

Tom Armstrong toma at risingnet.net
Sat Jul 24 09:53:01 PDT 2004

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, bwhdon wrote:

> Thanks Ed,
>
> I kinda figured the fella putting me on. are fix it parts hard to find for
> the M? is it work $1000.00 ? sheet metal looks ok , says engine runs but the
> needs fuel tank and carb work, did run when pulled.

The AC Model M was a fine tractor for its time. It had high performance
for its size and good economy. The wide gauge M replaced the horse out
here on the hills.

In my opinion an M is well deserving of being saved and restored. They do
not seem to be very well appreciated for some reason. If the undercarriage
is in really good condition the $1000 price might not be too high. You
will need to think about aquiring 1 or 2 parts tractors if you are going
to consider restoration.

I don't know what to tell you on the steering clutch. I may find out some
day because I have one in the shed with the same problem. I also have one
down in the blackberries for parts. It is always a good idea to try to
free a steering clutch before trying to take it apart. I know a Cat D2
will not come apart too well if the clutch is siezed. I had to break the
drum to get one apart one time. If it can be driven, sometimes riding the
brake on that clutch to heat the drum can work.

Tom Armstrong  toma at sangregorio.org  San Gregorio, CA  s. 1892
Barnyard Technology--- Ideas for tomorrow -> from yesterday's scrap.
     4th, 5th, 6th generation on family farm. Can Ag Sustain?
                http://www.sangregorio.org/