[AT] List upgrade and outage

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Thu Jul 22 18:52:04 PDT 2004

First I wanted to let you folks know that I have new SPAM filtering
software.  This actually will have some impact on ATIS because the new
product I am using is a new service from mail-abuse.com(The DNS-RBL people
for you old-time sendmail guys like me).  Its not on their web site yet and
it is only in evaluation but basically it off-loads SPAM scanning from my
server to their servers.  This means my server will be less busy.  SPAM and
virus scanning account for the majority of CPU usage on my system.  Also
headers of the messages on the list have changed.  If you see "Received:"
trails that includes servers you don't think should be involved in the
transaction, rest assured they are.

UNFORTUNATELY:   This SPAM scanning is real tough though.  If your business
or your personal account is a source of SPAM and mail-abuse.org knows about
you or your employer, then your message will NEVER make it to my servers to
begin with.  Before I wasn't doing some of the dial-up account/IP/freemail
scanning that this new service will do.  If in fact you find yourself
blocked by mail-abuse.com, follow the instructions in the rejection email
you should get.  They should be able to explain why it is happening and
what your options are.  But feel free to get me involved by contacting me
at this other address:  syost at triad.rr.com

Tomorrow my IP address will change.   Since I had the chance to plan this,
the outage should be short for most of you - statistically 1/2 hour but it
could be an hour and if you are unlucky enough to have an ISP run by an
incompetent system administrator, if could be days(they force their DNS
resolvers to ignore expiration of the DNS data, which is set by me to be 1
hour right now).  Again, contact me at syost at triad.rr.com if you have any
unexpected problems.

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS