[AT] How to seat the bead on lawn tractor tires?

Billy Hood aggie1967 at msn.com
Thu Jul 22 19:35:08 PDT 2004

  There are also air cannon type units that seat
  tire beads also, They are basically a large tank with a BIG valve and
  outlet to dump a LOT of air in a hurry.
  Steve Williams
  Near Cooperstown NY

  I am currently building a new tire store for two of my friends.  They started selling tires out of one of the partners automotive shops when the other--former manager of a tire buisness--was laid off to enable a family member to take his position.  He was mounting some backhoe tires (tubeless on 480 SL) and did not have a "air cannon" or whatever you call it.  I took a 15 gallon air tank and welded up one with a 1/14" ball valve in about 15 minutes and a cost of under
  $15 excluding the tank.  It has worked numerous times on truck and tractor tires and I saw him use it on 4 wheeler tires.

  We will installl the tire machines and lifts tomorrow and all I like is some cleanup wiring and a motor starter for the 3 phase air compressor.  They offered me a bonus to finish this by July 25 and I THINK I will collect the full ammount.  But we have worked some long hot days and good help is non-existant. My son has worked on days off and my wife has been general labor at times.  But they are good friends and good guys and deserve the break.  Even if they are hot rod/race car nuts and not tractor nutty.

  Bear

  This is not an advertisement, but They bought new Snap On tire changers and computer balancers.  The tire changer has more bells and whistles than a shiny new ALCO locomotive.  It has underarms and overarms and does everything but wipe your butt when finished.  I am aftaid to ask what they cost, but they sure are shiny and work well and quickly.  Not the labor wraslin' with the casings on my old 'Coats 1010.