[AT] OT, sort of: Harm in keeping clutch engaged while stopped?

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Wed Jul 21 16:38:50 PDT 2004

Hi Dean,

Good to hear you are still alive and kicking!

I've always understood the reason was to reduce wear and tear on the
throwout bearing and clutch fingers.  It is almost always a second rate
bearing working in a difficult environment... dirty, not lubricated, and
poorly aligned.  Some, like the Cub and some small cars aren't really even
bearings, but rather graphite sliding blocks.

Teach Dee to do it your way if you can.  I'm sure she'll do it if she
understands why.

Will we see you at Portland again?

George Willer