[AT] OT Wednesday-It's 100 Years since......

Tom tmartin at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jul 20 13:30:19 PDT 2004

JParks wrote:

> Tks Tom........The first detail that caught my eye was what looked like some
> belting used to keep the tires round (and intact!).  Did the article go into
> detail as to the operation of the opposing pistons and the timing of that
> engine?
> John Parks
> Boise, Id

Gidday John
	Not a lot about the real technicalities of the engine,
	To counteract the increased weight of the upper pistons'
	operating gear, the stroke is less than for the lower
	pistons.
	The engine used a mechanically driven fuel metering system.
	The rod rising up from near the camshaft drove a disk which
	had pockets that contained a measured amount of fuel for a
	cylinder charge. The disk was rotated to bring a pocket into
	line with a spray nozzle within the manifold.
	They made this style of engine up to 1922 so it wasn't a flash
	in the pan. The biggest was a 6 cylinder version of 1908.
Tom