[AT] desulphating battery chargers

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Sat Jul 17 18:37:16 PDT 2004

In a message dated 7/17/2004 4:59:29 PM Pacific  Daylight Time,
spud_thompson at toleartist.com writes:
Most people just keep  adding water, that just thins out the mix,
works
> > for  me
A  fully discharged batter has only water in it the acid is in the plates
that's  how they work when you dump the water and replace with acid you will
increase  the amount of acid in the battery to a dangerous amount. In other word
it is not  recommended to do this I know have seen a lot of people do it but I
have also  seen batteries that will smoke and smell of acid when being charged
from the  vehicle.  Most batteries quit because the cells flake off as they
are used  this is why there is a large open space at the bottom of all
batteries. Marine  batteries have a larger space because of the rocking of the boat.
Sulfated  batteries are those that have been left a long time without any
discharge or  charge just left on the shelf to get all sulfated. You don't find
this very  often that's why you can only find a few batteries that will cleanup
with your  desulfating charger.

Walt Davies
Cooper Hollow Farm
Monmouth, OR  97361