[AJD] Carb cleaning

Duane Larson jdlarson at comcast.net
Sat Jul 17 14:18:20 PDT 2004

Kevin,
The TSX245 would be the proper carb for your MC.  Floats are about $17.  I
assume by the main jet being messed up you are referring to the nozzle - it
is removed by first removing the load needle assembly, then grinding a
screwdriver to fit the slot in the bottom of the nozzle which is accessible
after the load needle removal.  If the screwdriver slot is badly damaged,
life gets tougher and the nozzle may have to be drilled and replaced.  The
good news is they are still available.

After removing the top of the carb and turning it over, the idle jet is
located towards the rear at an angle.  If the screwdriver slot is damaged
(ie, opened up) for this jet, the sides of the jet interfere with the
casting and it becomes hard to remove since you are pushing the sides of the
jet into the casting.  The TSX245 also has an economizer jet located in a
deep hole to the left of the idle needle, and this can be tough to remove.
However, both the idle and economizer jets need to come out as there are
narrow passages behind them that must be clean for it to operate properly.
Heat works well for the idle jet, but it is hard to get heat on the proper
places of the nozzle and economizer jet.

Finally, new throttle shafts are available for the TSX245, but the throttle
shaft holes are not bushed and if they are worn too badly they need to be
aligned, bored, and fitted with bushings.

I have had more trouble properly rebuilding badly worn/rusted TSX series
carbs than with DLTX series (at least ones that have not been poorly
welded).  The nozzle and jets can be time consuming to remove.

Hope this helps with your deliberations.
Duane Larson