[Steam-engine] Drill Doctor

Orrin Iseminger oiseming at moscow.com
Sat Jul 17 05:39:58 PDT 2004

I've not had a Drill doctor, but have eaves-dropped on many online
discussions of them; and, a friend has one.  This is what I've learned.

A Drill Doctor doesn't work very well on some drills because their rate of
twist (think of it as steepness of the spiral) is different for what the D-D
was designed for.  My friend has finally gotten his to work by spending a
whole lot of time experimenting.  He's able to get it to work, after a
fashion, by setting some of the adjustments completely off-scale.

I have a prejudice against any cutting tools that have been banging around
in boxes or buckets.  It's no way to treat a cutting edge.  (The average
person does not have the equipment to sharpen the sides of a drill bit.)  I
won't have anything to do with stuff that's been treated that way.

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA
http://users.moscow.com/oiseming/lc_ant_p/index.htm