[AT] desulphating battery chargers

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Fri Jul 16 04:51:51 PDT 2004

> I've tried my charger on several batteries; a couple of car batteries, a
> bunch of 6 volt golf car batteries, and a tired garden tractor battery.  The
> only battery that triggered the desulphation mode was the garden tractor
> battery, and it wasn't able to help it.  I guess my results are
> inconclusive.
>
> Phil Vorwerk
> Courtland, MN

	I've been reading the comments on these chargers and have come
to about the same conclusion as your post. Most batteries seem to die
of other causes than becoming sulphated. Your results may be indicative
of how these are going to work, Phil.

	I wondered about the golf cart batteries. I have two electric
golf carts and the batteries in my newest EZGo are starting to give less
than expected performance. It was for this reason that I have been looking
at desulphating chargers. The batteries on mine are kept full of distilled
water and all the connections are clean. I use the tapered charger that
came with it to give it a full charge whenever it starts to slow down but
it seems that the charge doesn't last as long as it should any more. The
sales literature promises that you can use it for 9 eighteen hole rounds
of golf before charging and I think it has slowly decreased to maybe 5
rounds - or about half what it should be. I was hoping someone would find
that it brought golf cart batteries back up.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson