Using tractor driven tillers (was Re:[AT]AllisChalmersB-1lawntractor

Jim and Lyn Evans jevans at evanstoys.com
Thu Jul 15 19:01:01 PDT 2004

You need to properly set the slip clutch each year.  They will freeze up
when sitting and not work when needed.
Basically the procedure is:
Loosen the slip clutch springs until the plates are loose.
Run the PTO a little bit until the plates are warm and all the rust is
knocked off:
Tighten the springs back up.
Make a mark on the plates and disks so you can tell if they slip.
Go out an run the bush hog a few minutes in the field.
If the clutch is hot, tighten the springs, remark, and try again.
If the clutch did not move at all, loosen the springs and try again.
The goal is to have the clutch just creep a little under load without
getting hot.

Jim

	As to the bush hog, it has a slip clutch but I've never seen that it
has slipped at all so don't know if it works or not. I'd hate to depend on
it stopping those heavy blades before it did any damage.
I don't think it will happen with all the energy there.

	This Kubota tiller I just picked up does not have a slip clutch or
shear pins. What it has is a humpback top to allow room for rocks to up and
over and out. I sure hope it works on the football sized rocks I have to
contend with here.

Cecil
--
The nicest thing about telling the truth is you never have to wonder what
you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson

Allis Chalmers tractors and equipment