[AT] desulphating battery chargers

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Thu Jul 15 07:35:23 PDT 2004

I bought one at Wal-Mart for about $96. It was the only one that would
do both 6 and 12 volts, as well as being marked as "desulfating". It is
relatively small and has both the power and DC cables detachable, with a
storage compartment in the chassis. In spite of having the storage
compartment, it is quite small and light. The directions say to connect
the battery cables and then the power cord. If you don't do anything,
the charger goes into "test" mode for about 10 minutes, and then does
what it has to. I have never waited that long, so I don't know if it
starts desulfating or not. There is no meter - just a digital display
that can be switched to show voltage or "% of charge" and a number of
buttons to select mode, voltage, and charge rate. When it gets to 100%,
it switches off. And I mean "off" - there is a fan inside to keep the
circuitry cool. I used it on a variety of batteries, just to see what it
could do. It confirmed that a couple of what I considered to be dead 12
volt batteries really were dead and made no attempt to desulfate them.
On one of my brand new 6 volt batteries, it seemed to think it was a 12
volt battery that needed a charge (I removed the charger immediately).
On the 560D, with two big 12 volt batteries, it charged both at once to
a full charge on the 15 amp setting. It has settings for 2, 15, and
40(?) amps and is supposed to handle regular, gel cell, and "no
maintenance" batteries, as well as "deep cycle" batteries. So I guess I
can say that it seems to work as advertised for charging, but I really
can't say that it desulfates.

Mike

Jim Hoffman wrote:

> Well, I picked up a Schumacher SmartCharge charger off eBay last
> week.  They didn't mention anything about desulphating in the
> description and I couldn't tell from the box.  It doesn't appear
> to be a desulphating charger.  Unless they all are.  But it's a
> VERY nice small 6/12 volt charger that I can use anyway.  But I
> guess I'd like to know how I can tell for sure that it's a
> desulphating charger.  Will it say it clearly on the box?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim/
>

>>	Well, it has been several weeks since some of you went out and
>>bought those chargers at WalMart that are supposed to rejuvenate old
>>batteries and I am wondering if anyone can say they truly brought an
>>old battery back to life?
>>
>>	Just curious as I have not been able to find one in stock at
>>WalMart as yet and there is still time to get rid of the idea.
>>
>>Cecil
>>--
>>The nicest thing about telling the truth is you never have to wonder
>>what you said.
>>
>>Cecil E Monson
>>Lucille Hand-Monson
>>Mountainville, New York   Just a little east of the North Pole
>>
>>Allis Chalmers tractors and equipment
>>
>>Free advice

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email: (msloane at att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>
Work: none - retired

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed,
given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, U.S. general and 34th president (1890-1969)