[Steam-engine] Boilers / Repairs

Jeff Smith steamenginesmitty at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 13:27:13 PDT 2004

Dan,

The engine that Tom Crevasse has is a 75hp case and it
is not for sale unless he finds an 80hp.  That is not
the engine that I am talking about. There are a lot
more engines in Florida than people know about.  This
60hp that might be up for sale has been in Florida for
about 5 years.   He is asking $30,000.00 and it is
worth every penny in my opinion.  It is a real choice
engine.

As far as the lap seam.  Steam Traction (AKA Iron Men
Album) a few issues back had a great article on new
boilers.  That might be a good place for you to start.
 You will see in many of the photos that the new
welded boilers do not have a lap seam in the barrel,
they are rolled to the proper diameter and welded
together and then x-rayed and stress relieved.  They
are not lapped and welded together, they are similar
to a basic butt weld only following boiler code
procedures.  Why can't you just have the bottom of the
barrel replaced?  That would save a ton of work.
There are a few engines at Kinzer's like that.  You
can see the welds down the sides of the engines.  You
don't have to take everything off of the boiler and
align it that way.  I have never seen a boiler that
the steam area is bad, not to say that they aren't out
there, but usually the area above the water line on
all the boilers I have seen look like new with little
pitting.  Most of the time the dome can be saved when
making a new boiler.  They were going to keep my dome
and replace the entire boiler and call it a
repair..........    I thought that was a little on the
unethical side, but they said it was allowed.

Jeff

=== message truncated ===