[Steam-engine] lap seam calculations

Dan Donaldson ddonaldson at tampatank.com
Tue Jul 13 05:20:38 PDT 2004

    I am new to this mailing list and I am glad that this topic has come up.
I am thinking about buying a traction engine (my first) and I am trying to
determine what I may need to do to make it acceptable to run at shows. I
know that I will have to replace a portion of the wrapper and I would like
to also replace the front tube sheet. My question is, if I replace the front
tube sheet should I go ahead and replace the lap seam barrel with a full
penetration, butt welded 3/8" thk barrel? Would I then be able to operate
the engine at 150 psi in states like Maryland assuming the rest of the
boiler is in good shape? In other words does a new, butt welded barrel
eliminate the problem of the lap seam?

Dan Donaldson