Skid Steer vs. Crawler (was Re: [AT] Deere Model 350 Questions

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Tue Jul 13 04:08:03 PDT 2004

> Thanks for all the responses and detailed info! I did not take in

all of what my neighbor said because I was not knowledgeable enough

to absord all of it in one quick conversation. He did mention skid

steers too, but he emphasized that on this place I needed tracks

(he's worked this land before for my grandfather years ago clearing

some land). He said the best combination for me is tracks and a

bucket instead of a blade so I can pick up the rocks instead of just

pushing them with a blade. Did I read it right in an earlier post,

but can you run a skid steer on tracks? Excuse the clueless questions....

> Rob

	Yes, you can get tracks for some skidsteers and no you don't
need a crawler to pick up rocks. Any of the modern skidsteers with
hydraulic power up front can use a rock picker. It is just a grabber
and can also be used to pick up and load logs too. When we built my new
shop a couple years ago, the contractor even had a skidsteer mounted
rock drill for drilling holes to break up rocks. He drilled holes on
both side of a rock down in a hole and using two bars and a chain,
picked a rock out of a hole that had to weigh a ton - all with the
skidsteer. Most skidsteer don't need tracks unless you are going to
work in mud.

	You are the one who has to spend his money on whatever you
decide you want. I have a crawler/loader, a 60 hp dozer, and a JD
skidsteer. I can only tell you my own experience. I'm not clearing
land for construction and only have these things to use on 21 wooded
hillside acres for my own pleasure. You didn't say you were clearing
land either and if you did, I would have recommended a dozer hands
down. For chores, I'll take the skidsteer any day.

Cecil

what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson