[Steam-engine] lap seam calculations

steamman at ptdprolog.net steamman at ptdprolog.net
Mon Jul 12 05:05:28 PDT 2004

Engine friends,

I just came from a show in Maryland. Spent 2 hours with the Chief Inspector
and his inspectors going over the interpretation of their antique boiler
code. I was limited to 100 lbs. operating pressure because of my lap seam
boiler. In PA I'm allowed 125 lbs.  They refer back to the 1971 code for new
construction of lap seam boilers. They will not even do any calculations for
a lap seam boiler, they flat out say 100 lbs.

I'd like to know if anyone can calculate the difference from 125 lbs to 100
lbs for a double riveted lap seam, What I'm really after is just how safe is
100 lbs vs 125 lbs.  My last ultra sound on my crown sheet last year was .365
around the fusible plug and found the lowest to be .310 in the rear left
corner of the crown sheet. My stays are 4 15/16"x 5". It's a 1909 Frick 8 x
10 and I very rarely work the engine. I ran a sawmill, thresher and a rock
crusher once. I run a baker fan every so often for 15 minutes or so. Other
than that I pull a sled just for show.

Lets here everyone's thoughts and comments