[AT] Allis Chalmers B-1 lawn tractor

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Jul 12 06:43:47 PDT 2004

Reel type?  That's a different story.  I ran a 60" reel type mower from
Craftsman for years that had a 5 horse engine on it.  The top of the
line Jacobson estate mower was a 60" powered by an 8 horse Kohler.  My
brother still has (and claims that he runs) a 96" Worthington
Greenskeeper powered by a Briggs 10 horse.  Reel type and sickle bar
mowers take just a fraction of the power that a rotary requires.  One of
the reasons for the big horsepower push on rotary mowers is because
owners feel "called" to mow at something close to 15 miles per hour and
cut a swath 60 inches wide while they're doing it.  When you do the
calculations on what the blade tip speed has to be in order to do that,
you'll find that all that power is simply wasted on spinning the blades
fast enough to keep up.

Larry