[AT] Bad tractor day

LeRoy Price III leroy_price3 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 11 23:14:01 PDT 2004

Figured I'd start the tractor today and let them run, this weekend is the
local show.  The JD 40S started right up but the JD 40W just wouldn't.  I
have been smelling gas near it and saw the reason for it.  Seems the carb
was leaking all down on my nice paint job or should I say what use to be a
nice paint job.  Peeled it right off.  So I started tinkering.

First, why is the carb leaking?  Well, I went and took it off (of course I
didn't shut the gas off but that shouldn't matter).  I found a jury rigged
float in it, the nice little metal float was gone.  So I figured it wasn't
shuting off right so I took the float out of my other JD 40 and gave it
another shot.  The leakage was better only out of the load needle and not
everywhere else.

I checked the plugs and electric side getting nice sparks.  Good suction
from a recent overhaul. Tried a couple of other things and by that time the
first battery gave up.

With the next battery I tried the carb off of the 40S, same thing.  Pulled
the plugs and cleaned them.  Tested the spark to each again and tried again.
The battery was spinning it good and nothing.  Didn't even try to kick over.
Now I had this running 3 weeks ago without issue and that was beginning to
bug me.  Well, I burned up Battery number 2.

Insert battery number 3.  Tried a series of things again.  Tried wires off
the 40S still nothing.  To make a long story short I burned up the thrid
battery.

Now I'm wondering if maybe the leak was going on for a long time and the
gas level was too low but the bowl was filling up, should have tried to kick
over.  I know that from a previous low gas issue that adding more made the
difference.

Ok, guys I give, I need some suggestions.  More Gas in the tank?

LeRoy