[AT] Cubs - now Aliquot

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Jul 11 20:50:13 PDT 2004

Unfortunately, on this side of the pond we have a tendency to downplay
tradition.  If we don't like the lay of the land, we change it.  Other
cultures don't exhibit the disregard for natural contours that we do
here, and as a result, it's a whole lot easier to locate a metes and
bounds property overseas than it is here.  We did some searching for
ancestral land holdings in Haverford, Wales, a few years ago and found
the property more or less intact after nearly 300 years.  The Shire is
still exactly the same as it was then.  But I would be really hard
pressed to find the location of my great-great-great-... grandfather's
property in Virginia even though I have an accurate description off the
land patent from George III.  The county has been divided about a half
dozen times since then and the stream has been renamed, rerouted, and
probably covered over with a parking lot.

Larry