[AT] Cubs - now Aliquot

Dave Merchant nesys_com at ameritech.net
Sun Jul 11 01:31:33 PDT 2004

Curiosity strikes...

From:
http://www.co.north-slope.ak.us/gis/toolbox/encyclopaedia/text/a_text.htm

  Aliquot land description

Aliquot means "contained an exact number of times in something else"
(WWWebster Dictionary).
There are many land areas which are described using an aliquot land
description, a method that uses meridians, and a grid of townships and
sections. There are five meridians established for Alaska,
each with its own name (e.g., Kateel, Umiat, etc.) The township grid is
defined by township lines
running East to West (they define the southern and northern boundaries of
the grid), and range lines
running North to South (they define the eastern and western boundaries of
the grid and are offset
to compensate to the curvature of the earth.) Township and range lines are
numbered and their
name indicates their compass direction and how far they are from an
established base line or
principal meridian respectively.
Each township square in the grid is named after the township and range
lines that enclose it
and the meridian it is referenced to (e.g., township 6 North, range 30
west, Umiat meridian, etc.)
Each township is a square measuring 6 miles by 6 miles containing a 36
square miles.
Each one of these 36 square miles is known as a section (usually 640
acres), with numbers
1-36 assigned to each one in a certain order, to designate the location of
each section within
the township. Each section is subdivided into quarter sections and each
quarter section can be
further subdivided into either quarters or halves, as needed. Quarter
sections and their
subdivisions are named using compass descriptions. For example, the aliquot
land description
of a native allotment could be S1/2NE1/4SEC9T6NR30WUM, which means that the
allotment
is located in the southern 1/2 of the northeast 1/4 of section 9, township
6 North, range 30 West, Umiat meridian.

Dave Merchant