[AT] Old torque specs

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sat Jul 10 08:38:06 PDT 2004

There weren't many tapered seat spark plugs back in the 60's Cecil.  I
suspect one of the reasons why they started manufacturing so many of
that style is that they will seal without any sort of gasket of sealing
ring.

John Deere 40 is one of the models that isn't listed for some reason.  I
haven't been able to figure out why certain models were skipped.  All
the rest of the John Deere letter series and number series tractors
appear to be there.

Most of the spark plug torques specs in the engine listings are blank.
The only ones listed with the engines are the ones that are different
from ordinary.  So there's nothing listed for the Allis series you asked
about.

For AC spark plugs (14mm) they are tightened to 25 ft-lb in cast iron.
Champion - 26 to 30 ft-lb.
Auto-Lite - 30 ft-lb.

Interestingly, they don't recommend Auto-Lite plugs in aluminum heads
except for aircraft applications.

Larry