[AT] Tires and tubes

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Jul 9 23:36:24 PDT 2004

I don't know if its the same in the rest of the world but here in Sask. it
no longer makes economic sense to repair an inner tube if it has a valve
stem leak.
I found this out today when I took apart a 9.5x14 tandem disk tire. The tube
looked very good but it was leaking air at the valve stem where the metal
threads meets the rubber. Apparently a new valve stem costs $10 and then
there is the cost of installation. Alternately a new tube costs $14 so I
took the new tube. I guess if I bought the new stem and could install it
myself successfully , that would be the cheapest way to go. How hard can it
be to install one of these stems anyway? My shop rate is extremely low when
I am working for myself. I'm tempted to give it a try

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/