[AT] OT - BIG computer problem

CWI47 at comcast.net CWI47 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 6 10:13:46 PDT 2004

Eamil me off line at cwi47 at comcast.net and I'll walk ya through it.  Or call
at 616 451-8018
John Cable
CWI Computers
CABLEKNIVES of GR
Grand Rapids, MI
----- Original Message -----
From: <msm10301 at juno.com>
To: <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 9:39 AM
Subject: [AT] OT - BIG computer problem

> Hi All,
> I have a very sick computer at home, and I could use some advice on the
best way to fix it. I started Saturday, when I opened NAV 2004 and tried to
run a scan which it had as overdue. When I clicked the "scan now" button,
the computer told me that this user didn't have the priviledges to run this
scan. I linked to Symantec's site, and followed their fix, but it did
nothing. I have never set up users on my system, and have had it for 4
years. Since I couldn't use Norton, I down loaded and installed AVG 6.0 from
Grisoft, and Zonealarm. I had AVG run a scan and it found a virus, which it
called a trojan horse scedA. It said it couldn't heal the file, and that it
would need to be deleted. I ran the scan again, and it found the same virus
in another file. I then encountered an error and had to restart my computer.
When it booted up, I had two errors both of which read " Validation failed
for C:\windows\system\vsinit.dll. Most of my icons are missing, and the
"Start" button is ino!
>  perable. Since I couldn't use "Start", I couldn't get to system restore
to try that option. I finally found system restore in the C drive folder,
but it won't run. Bottom line is my computer will do nothing and many things
simply will not run. I managed to burn copies of things I wanted to save. My
thought was to format C drive and reinstall windows, but I'm in uncharted
waters here, and wanted some input before I tried that. Any help would be
appreciated.