OT: Mosquitoes (was Re: [AT] corn crop... newspaper article

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Tue Jul 6 03:11:29 PDT 2004

Rob Gray wrote:
> Mike, that is true. There was one cutting of hay this year on my fields
> and it is not looking like another cutting is happening anytime soon.
> The only benefit is that, unlike last year which was very wet, this year
> the mosquitos are way down. I don't think I ever remember a year as bad
> as last year for mosquitos.
As chairman of the county mosquito commission, I am well aware of the
difference between 2003 and 2004's breeding conditions. Last year was a
nightmare for the commission - long hours and thousands of complaint
calls. Our limited resources were stretched very thin. This year is
busy, but not nearly as bad. Also, it appears that the number of cases
of West Nile virus (WNV) are down for the second year in a row, but
whether that is an accident of nature or due to our efforts cannot be
determined at this time. The frustrating thing about WNV is that we know
that it is vectored by mosquitoes, but we don't know for sure which of
the 50+ varieties common to this area are the culprits. And since each
species has different breeding techniques, you can't just "wipe them all
out". The species we think causes WNV (culex pippians) breeds mostly in
roadside storm drains, resulting in a higher incidence of the disease in
populated areas.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed,
given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, U.S. general and 34th president (1890-1969)