[AT] corn crop... newspaper article

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Mon Jul 5 15:20:05 PDT 2004

You are indeed fortunate this year. April and May around here were
pretty good growing months, and the first cutting of hay went very well,
but June just dried up, and July is not looking any better. With a few
exceptions, most of the corn in the local fields is only knee high if
you are on the short side. The beans don't look that great either, and
the second cutting of hay might not be until September if things keep
going the way they are. The weather predictions keep calling for "chance
of rain", but it seems that those chances are mighty slim. (Fortunately
for me, I don't grow any crops anymore, so I don't have to worry too much.)

Mike

George Willer wrote:

> We've been very fortunate to have great corn crops in recent years. This
> year, our local newspaper noticed how great it looks and ran a picture of
> our front field as part of a feature on the good corn crop on their front
> page. Just for the record, the picture was taken last Thursday (7-01-04).
> Today (7/5), the ears and tassels are popping out. I'm 6' 1" and I can't
> reach the top in places.
>
> http://members.toast.net/gwill/album/Homestead/article2.gif
>
> George Willer
> http://members.toast.net/gwill/

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email: (msloane at att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>
Work: none - retired

The history of liberty is a history of the limitation of government
power, not the increase of it. -Woodrow Wilson, 28th president of the
U.S., Nobel peace prize winner (1856-1924)